Jul 6, 2010

Fruit-Nut Oat Pancakes


I hope you aren't feeling neglected, as I know I haven't posted anything here in what seems to be forever. I guess that's a good thing in a way because it means that I've been really busy with my digital design work, as well as all of the fun activities that summertime offers :) But I still have to feed my family and I always want to introduce my blog followers to something yummy and different.

I originally found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine and as always, modified it a bit. These pancakes filled with fruity, oaty, healthy goodness are perfect for getting them going in the morning or any time. Excellent with seasonal fresh fruit, but canned fruits can be substituted in a pinch.
I usually make more than I need and freeze the remaining cakes with plastic wrap layered between each one for use another time. You simply separate what you need and pop them into the microwave for a minute or two. I also make a great snack wrap for my boys
whenever they 're on the run, by rolling leftover cakes around a leftover sausage link and freezing them individually for a quick zap in the microwave and they're out the door!


Fruit-Nut Oat Pancakes
Makes 8 pancakes
As with most pancake recipes, you may wish to add a little more milk if they seem too thick.

*1 cup quick-cooking oats
* 1-1/4 cups buttermilk

* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

* 1 tablespoon sugar

* 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

* 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil

* 1 egg, lightly beaten

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts or macadamia nuts)

* 1/2 to 3/4 cup fruit of choice (finely diced or shredded)



In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; let stand for about five minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into oat mixture.
Add oil, egg and vanilla, mixing until evenly combined.
Fold in nuts & fruit of choice (see *Tip).
Let stand for 10 minutes.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupful onto greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown.
Garnish as desired w/additional fruit, cinnamon, syrup, butter, or whipped cream.

*Tip:
Some of my favorite fruit & nut combinations;

Raisins w/walnuts
(classic with the oats in the mix)
Shredded apple w/walnuts -dust cakes with cinnamon before serving
.
Dried cranberries w/walnuts

Mashed banana w/pecans
Diced peaches w/ pecans
Diced Strawberries w/pecans -slice a few extra berries for garnish.

Blueberries -we like these without any nuts!
Dried cherries w/almonds -add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract to batter.
Diced mango w/macadamia nuts (or pecans) -mix 2 teaspoons orange zest into dry ingredients before adding.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...